Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Doubts...and casting them aside

My mentor put a good thought in my head the other night. As she gave me a ride to a meeting we had down south, she asked me if I had considered the possibility of not getting an MBA. She had been admitted to Andersen (UCLA) years before but decided to stay with her company and now she's a very senior person at her firm (having been there since she graduated roughly 20 years ago).

This was one of the first times I'd ever thought about not getting an MBA. How would my life be different? A lot of times we find ourselves so committed to a path without acknowledging even the possibility of not going down that road. We always ask - how can I get to this destination or that school? But what if we don't even go in that direction?

It's worth asking yourself.

Now that I've articulated my doubts, let me re-affirm, that an MBA *IS* for me. I know it. I've known it, and despite letting my surroundings temporarily drown the belief, I have confirmed it is where I want to be. Will I be disappointed if my plans don't work out for this spring/fall?

Sure.

But will it define me as a person or discourage me from pursuing the dream later on?

Not a chance.

I know it's the right path for me. And if you're reading this and you have these kinds of doubts, ask yourself a simple question. Don't overthink it. You may find clarity is far easier to discover in silence than in a noisy room.

1 comment:

JulyDream said...

Keep up the positive attitude! Now that you've answered the question, time to step forward. Let me know if you need anything. I can always make time. ;)