Sunday, November 30, 2008

Reflection

It's been a whirlwind month for me. I work in financial services, so the market chaos is enough to give even the most experienced wall street'ers a headache times ten. Add in business school applications, the CFA, working with an Asian American leadership organization, and trying to balance some time with family, friends, and social networking, and you basically get overloaded.

I got rejected from Lauder (Wharton) shortly after I got rejected from Chicago. My best friend saw a post that I made on facebook which was a snippet from the Goo Goo Dolls song "Better Days" - he proceeded to make fun of me for posting whiny lyrics, then figured out I got rejected. He was apologetic for days.

At least that made me laugh. ;-) (he is my best friend...and we give one another more hell than most enemies, you should know)

After that, I proceeded back to studying for the CFA, an exam which I barely failed in June and one which I have been firmly resolved to pass for a year now. But frankly, there's just too much on my plate right now. A couple people have suggested I pull back a bit, and I plan to.

After much deliberation, I'm going to aim to move to China this spring and ignore finding a new job or MBA program for the time being. I'm hoping to enter a study program in Shanghai to bolster my language skills while also looking for work there, and I may still submit one last app to a second round school.

For any of you who actively read this, don't be afraid to have a plan B. I have a wonderful friend who's at Chicago right now. She pointed out, rightly so, that you don't NEED an MBA to do whatever you like. And I'm 26. Not too young, but clearly not old. I still have time.

I want to see the world. I was just hoping to do so under the guise of a study program with Wharton. But I am going to refocus and learn more about myself. I've been too comfortable for too long. I need to thrive on my own, creating a whole new set of friends, challenges, and stories.

I'll keep posting here until my decisions come in. Good luck to all of you. (and wish me luck on my CFA...t-minus 6 days!)

4 comments:

Vitaly Kartsev said...

Just commented over at my place, but I thought I'd throw in a comment here, too. I definitely agree about plan B. Applying to business school has really opened up my ideas about what I'm capable of. Hopefully I will get in to one of my schools, but if not, the idea of just putting my head down and sticking with the same responsibilities and goals I had before starting the process is not really an option. There is a whole world out there to conquer, and whatever the results of MBA apps, we should be forging ahead.

Best of luck with the CFA and R2 apps/other possibilities!

Jess said...

Thanks for the comment! It sounds like you have a great Plan B, definitely an exciting adventure!

Ironically enough, all of this market turmoil has put my thoughts on the same track. I'm definitely still full speed ahead on applying, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that if I don't get in (very real possibility), I need a Plan B and it will still be a great adventure.

I completely agree with your comment about getting comfortable and needing a change - whether or not that is business school. I'm right there too!!

Best of luck with the new plan - hope you keep posting so we can see how you're doing!

Samantha said...

Sorry to hear about the bad news, I feel your pain about Wharton at least. Way to have a plan B. I'm also thinking of moving abroad if I don't get in somewhere. Improving language skills and getting international work experience will pay off 10 years down the line, no question. Good luck!

Visit Vila Fames said...

Very efficiently written information. It will be valuable to everyone who uses it, including myself. Thanks.
Churning is frowned upon by most Forex Cashback brokers. If you plan on trading with no purpose other than to generate a rebate, please contact us before proceeding, as our commissions may be voided by the broker and this also will void any rebate you may expect to receive.