Sunday, October 26, 2008

post-Hawaii

I just got back from a five day holiday to Maui to celebrate the submission of three apps, visit my best friend, and most importantly to recover from the stress of the last nine months (CFA Level I exam in June, Chinese class, GMAT's, apps, work, volunteering with a mentorship program).

The whole time in Hawaii thought put a lot of clarity in my mind. Besides speaking more slowly, wanting to wear "slippahs" and occasionally breaking into pidgin (yo bruddah, how's it?), I really found myself at ease despite all the stress in the economy and the markets. I work at an investment bank in technology and operations and many people are stressed, but I now tell them: why be stressed? You can only control so much. Don't overload on company stock, plan for contingencies, and be thankful for the prosperity and fortune you've had thus far in life. It can ALWAYS be worse. Much worse that being able to apply to business school or any of the things we take for granted.

Now that the applications are in though, I find myself eagerly awaiting some kind of response. It's hard to balance that feeling that a certain school is right for me with the sobering reality that it MAY NOT be. It's a lot like dating - it has to be a mutual thing. Ever noticed that?

Of all the girls - ahem - schools, whom I'd like to come a calling, Lauder is that ultra hot one in the corner who knows she's the shiznit. And when she comes to ask for a dance, it's like any scene in a horrible teen movie where the geek gets to dance with the prom queen. I'm the geek, in case you missed the reference. I'm going to bed now. I hope I have the same dream I did last night - where I imagined my first week of bschool. :-P

No comments: