Monday, October 27, 2008

Envy

I must admit some jealousy creeps out whenever I meet Wharton MBA alums. I went to their recent info session and spent a good hour talking to three of them. One was a Lauder grad from the late 80's, one was a current Lauder 2nd year and the last was a Lauder '04 grad. A nice spectrum of opinions. The one thing I was envious of was their common views on how much fun they had/were having and how many friends they were making.

Beyond the technical benefits and the career transitions, the single thing that excites me is a ton of new potential friends. Is this weird? Each time I've gone into a new situation - grade school, high school, college, study abroad, working - I've always enjoyed the "honeymoon" phase the most. The time when you're just meeting tons of people and trying to figure out who people really are underneath the accomplishments, the jobs, the courses, and the smiles/frowns.

I should be hearing if my Wharton app is complete by the end of the week, but I am not concerned. I have my halloween costume (Rick James), I'm healthy and pounding the books for the CFA. Life is good. :-P

2 comments:

JulyDream said...

The level of new people that you meet will far exceed your expectations. It's absolutely incredible. The accomplishments of others sometimes seems overwhelming, you wonder, how did I end up here. Then you realize, these people are in the same aw of you as you are of them.

Samantha said...

I'm also excited to meet a ton of new people. Meeting new people at work and through friends is such a slow process usually!